Parx Casino was struggling to shine in a saturated market despite being the top Pennsylvania casino.
Through digital, print, radio, outdoor, and TV, this award-winning campaign “Get Lucky in No Time,” increased revenue and new gaming club memberships.
Parx Casino, near Philadelphia, is the top Pennsylvania casino. They saw limited growth potential within the state, which they felt was saturated and wanted to attract new prospects from the NYC metro area. But with a modest $5 million media budget they were competing with higher spending Connecticut casinos, also marketed to the tri-state audience. Parx engaged Generator to lead the media effort and select a creative agency partner. We chose Barker.
For the first time since the 2008 recession, leading economic indicators were pointing towards a re-emergence of more confident consumers, and Parx’s research reported that ‘entertainment seekers’ in the northeastern corridor felt ready to return to gaming. Research also showed that tri-state residents held negative views of Atlantic City casinos and had very low awareness of casino properties in Pennsylvania.
Leveraging Parx’s proximity to NY, our campaign communicated to area residents that they can “Get Lucky in No Time” at a casino closer to home than Atlantic City or the Poconos. The campaign used humor to showcase Parx as a general entertainment destination for nightlife and fine dining - not just gaming - that didn’t require a planned vacation or overnight stay.
- We launched with teaser billboards displaying only: “getluckyinnotime.com.” Site visitors got instant Google Maps directions from their location to Parx. The site generated over 15,000 visitors in two weeks.
- Print, radio, outdoor, digital, and TV followed. A “hyper-local” strategy used GPS coordinates to tell consumers exactly how close the casino was to their current location.
- In NJ Transit “station dominations” Parx owned all advertising in major NYC commuter hubs such as Metropark, Secaucus, and Summit. Copy promised commuters that exciting gaming and nightlife was easier to reach than they thought: “By The Time The Local Gets Here, You Could Be At Parx.”
- Regional Philadelphia and NJ magazine ads stressed the casino’s short distance from the suburbs with copy such as “6:00 PM: LEAVE GYM, 6:27 PM: CHA-CHING!”
The effort exceeded KPI goals and Parx enjoyed a sharp revenue increase:
- Revenue from the newly targeted New York metro area rose +58%
- Total revenue outside a 30 mile radius increased +43%
- New membership signups from the targeted regions jumped +24%
- In a down market Parx Casino’s overall Q2 revenue grew by +5% vs. year ago.
Additionally, the campaign earned two AGA Gaming Voice Awards in the categories of
“Best Multi-format Advertising Campaign” and “Best Outdoor Advertisement.”